One word. FANTASTIC!
Perfect Chemistry was the first book I read by Simone Elkeles, and she just blew me away. I read this in one sitting… which meant staying up more than half the night. I can’t remember the last time I’ve done that! The next day, I went back and re-read parts of it… wanting to just devour it again. This was like West Side Story and The Outsiders meets Pretty in Pink. The writing is amazing, and I was completely immersed in the story. The characters are believable and have so much depth. I never would have thought I could get emotionally attached to a “perfect” cheerleader and a gangbanger! Hmmm… all I can do is gush… so how about a list of things I LOVED about this book:
- I LOVED how the chapters alternate perspectives between Brittany and Alex, so that you could get entirely into their heads.
- I LOVED that the story is about two kids from opposite sides of the tracks, with differences in wealth, race, and social circles.
- I LOVED that Brittany could recognize her own façade.
- I LOVED that Alex was a smarty pants.
- I LOVED that Brittany was so dedicated to her sister
- I really liked the friendship that developed between Brittany and Isabel, and how realistic it was…
- I LOVED how Elkeles tied in so many life lessons into a beautiful love story (don’t judge a person by how they appear on the outside, or where they are from).
- Most of all, I LOVED the chemistry between Brittany and Alex!
Seriously, I can’t say enough good things about this book! I did find the ending to be a little too… tied up in a neat little bow… but I loved the characters so much that I just ate it up. In case you couldn’t tell… I highly recommend this book! Be advised that this is aimed toward older teens as it deals with drugs, sex, and gang violence.